Olympic Mountaineers Lacrosse!
Home of the PA/Sequim High School Lacrosse, PA/Sequim Boys Youth Lacrosse and PA/Sequim Girls Youth Lacrosse. Our expanding lacrosse programs support our growing Mountaineer teams. We currently have a boys middle school, high school and a girls team. Our goals are to continually expand to include a program that will allow youth of all ages to experience and play lacrosse on the North Olympic Peninsula.
After our local high schools lost funding for lacrosse, due to budget cuts, local parents set out to build a private lacrosse club. Sanctioned to continue competition with Washington State’s school lacrosse programs. Currently we have players from both Port Angeles and Sequim, and are hoping to be able to include players from Port Townsend as well as Joyce, and any other area that individuals would like to come and be a part of a game that promotes athleticism, sportsmanship, and discipline for which Lacrosse is rapidly gaining high recognition.
We are a non-profit club, which exists through donations and year-round fund-raising events. If you would like to know more or be a part of this great, growing program, feel free to contact us.
- Round One of the 2nd Annual Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament
If you missed the exciting fun of the Round One of the Second Annual Rock, Paper, Scissors Fundraising Tournament, here is a quick recap:
As each team battled for the notoriety of being the best this round, three teams (Some Kids, Misfits and Just Smoked Salmon) struggled to keep up with the two top contenders; Kool Kids and PWDT. The last two teams standing were the Kool Kids and last year’s tournament champions – PWDT. These two powerhouse teams played two back-to-back rounds – each winning one round. In order to break the tie, theyhad to choose a player to face off in a sudden death match. The pressure was on!
Stepping up for The Kool Kids’ team was their powerhouse player, Shailah. PWDT chose their ‘anchor’ player, Jonas. With fierce determination, these two challengers stepped forward with the full pressure of their team at their backs. Every eye in the place was on them, especially the hawk-eyed refs, waiting to see who would come out on top. To further add to the pressure, the PWDT coach offered a $200 donation to the NOPYL: if the girls won, they would get to help determine how this donation would best benefit the lacrosse program. If PWDT won, they would get the honor of presenting the donation to the kids at an official game.
With the pressure on, the two competitors stepped to center stage waiting for the sound of the ref’s booming voice; ‘one, two, three, shoot’. With several quick ties, it was finally Shailah who lead her team to victory! The crowd roared in approval of this win, and the Kool Kids basked in their victory. Meanwhile, Jonas bowed his head, accepting defeat.
We would like to thank everyone who showed up to support this fundraising opportunity. A special thanks goes out to those who donated items for the raffle. We would like to especially thank Peninsula Bottling Company for their generous donations and participation.
The second round will be held during the first week of June. All winners will go to the Final Round. If you are interested in participating in the next round, all you need is a total of four players, a name and a donation of $25.00 per player/$100 per team. All funds go to support the NOPYL. You can email, call or simply show up and sign up at the next event.
We look forward to seeing you there!
The five teams who participated the first round of the second annual tournament were;
- Some Kids (HS Boys) – Eric P, Alex B, Charlie P, Bryce W
- Kool Kids (Girls & round 1 winner) Shailah W, Maggie W, Irene W, Rachelle C
- Just Smoked Salmon – John F, Vick W, Scott & Dennis
- PWDT (Peninsula Bottling) – Brian, Harry, Adam, Jonas, Bucky
- Misfits (Lax Club Parents +) – Jordi, Mario, Shauna, Steven
Event & General Announcements:
- Lacrosse in the winter… Photos Courtesy of Danielle Patterson
- HS Game Location Changes Tomorrow’s game will be played at Agnew Field (The practice field) NOT Carrie Blake. Players will be expected to show up at the same time as previously discussed (3:45) Saturday’s game location TBA. Game starts at 2. Show up early as discussed with coach Dave.
- Time Keepers, Score Keepers, Side line Managers A great way to volunteer and learn more about this game is by helping out. If you are interested in learning more and/or would like to volunteer to be a time keeper or score keeper, please contact Sharon Prosser. We need three for each game/team. This is an important job, as we are the “official” record when we are playing home games. You are needed! Also, we need sideline managers; the basic job description for a sideline manager is crowd control. It is with your help to make sure that the fans are not too rowdy (as we can occur penalties for fans being “too” excited.) As well as making sure that the fans stay outside the set borders of the playing field. Please contact your teams coach if you would like more information or to volunteer for this position. Thank you for your volunteer time.
Up Coming Events & Games:
- May 27, 2013 6:30 pmPractice / stick skills
- May 29, 2013 6:30 pmPractice / stick skills
- June 1, 2013 6:30 pmRound 2 - Rock, Paper, Scissors Fundraising Event
- June 3, 2013 6:30 pmPractice / stick skills
- June 5, 2013 6:30 pmPractice / stick skills
- May 28, 2013 4:30 pmMiddle School Boys Practice
- May 29, 2013 4:30 pmMiddle School Boys Practice
- May 30, 2013 4:30 pmMiddle School Boys Practice